Many people know that Artificial Intelligence is rapidly evolving and becoming more powerful. It is already powerful enough to do most repeated manual tasks. It is much better than any human at doing them.
But in reality, AI is much more capable and is evolving faster than most people imagine. Of these AI, chatbots are at the forefront. At first, they were mechanical and awkward during conversations; Now, some are sophisticated enough to convince you that you are talking to a natural person.
Table of contents
- What is ChatGPT?
- History of ChatGPT
- Is ChatGPT famous?
- How to use ChatGPT?
- Can we use ChatGPT as a search engine?
- What are the shortcoming and limitations of ChatGPT?
- Why do people feel worried about ChatGPT?
- What Exams did ChatGPT pass?
- What is the relationship of ChatGPT with Microsoft?
- Frequently Asked Questions
In this article, we will discuss ChatGPT, one of the most influential and comprehensive AI publicly available on the internet.
What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is a new generation natural language processing artificial intelligence; developed by OpenAI. It is said to be one of the best software and is very good at doing its job. It is so good at language processing, essay writing, and conversation that it almost appears human-like.
ChatGPT is a Question/Answer program where you ask a question or make a request, and it generates an appropriate response. This is a functionality that any Chatbot with good quality can provide, but what makes GPT different is the quality of its answers.
It provides more comprehensive answers than any other AI and delivers them in a human-like language; Content generated by it feels like a human wrote it. This AI has the following capabilities:
- You can ask it about anything you want, and it will answer your question appropriately. But suppose the question you ask is inappropriate. You probably won’t get an answer because ChatGPT is programmed to decline such requests.
- You can ask it to do some maths and calculations for you; although it could be better in this field, it can at least do simple math. For example, you can ask it, “what is 20 + 2?” and it will answer this question.
- It can write simple code in various programming languages. It can even help you find errors or bugs in a given piece of code.
- You can ask it to do many more things, such as writing essays and articles, translating information, composing songs and poems, answering philosophical questions, etc.
History of ChatGPT
ChatGPT is a project of OpenAI, a former non-profit and now capped-profit organization. It was founded by Sam Altman, Peter Thiel, Reid Hoffman, Jessica Livingston, Elon Musk, Ilya Sutskever, and several other non-profit organizations. They jointly invested one billion USD in developing Artificial Intelligence to benefit humanity.
Before developing ChatGPT, they developed several other projects that were not as popular but were outstanding achievements nonetheless; they are as follows:
- In 2016, OpenAI developed Gym, which helped researchers create and compare new learning systems for AI training. Later that year, they set up Universe, a toolkit for training different Intelligent software.
- In 2019, the company developed its first actual Artificial intelligence software, GPT. The primary function of this chatbot was to create fake news and stories; it was scarily good at its job. Because of this, reason company didn’t release it at that time. Later they optimized GPT and created GPT-2, and released it.
- In 2021, the company released another AI called Dall-E. It wasn’t a Chatbot but an Art-generator. It could generate new images based on your requirements. For example, you can ask something like “man on a horse” or “a spaceman visiting a farm,” which creates an image based on that.
- In 2022, OpenAI released the ChatGPT we now know.
Is ChatGPT famous?
Yes, ChatGPT is very famous and well-received; people worldwide use it for different purposes. For most people, it is a helpful tool that can help them solve many simple problems and provide many opportunities. Many people have used ChatGPT to create successful businesses by training it in a specific way.
Some of the most common business types are as follows:
- Code learning websites: ChatGPT has excellent potential in the programming sector; many people are using it as a programming aid. As mentioned before, this software can help you create simple programs, as well as help you find errors and bugs in most common programming languages. So, creating a website based on this AI is a great business idea, and many people have already created small and medium-sized businesses on this idea.
- Content creation: It is a great tool for content creation that can help any website owner create new content on different topics quickly and easily. All you need to do is proofread the article and ensure there are no problems with facts and figures.
- As a chatbot: This is perhaps the most common use of ChatGPT; any business can use it for their customer service. This highly intelligent bot can help a company handle most of the customers with commonly encountered problems so that employees can focus on more serious problems.
How to use ChatGPT?
Using ChatGPT is very easy to use; follow the following steps:
- Open your browser and go to Chat.OpenAi.com.
- Now create an account using your Gmail account; insert your phone number.
- You will get a six-digit code on the number you provided before; write that number in the appropriate place to authenticate your number.
- Now you carefully read all the terms and conditions of ChatGPT and agree to them if you want before continuing.
- Now that you have your OpenAI account, you can start using the software; you can write your question or request in the input field at the bottom and press enter to get a response.
- You will get the response in a few moments; if you don’t like the answer, you can ask it to generate a new answer.
Note: The AI will respond to your question or request to the best of its capabilities, most of the time, its answers are true, but that is not always the case. Sometimes it makes mistakes because of insufficient or incorrect data. Sometimes it gives unexpected results simply because it misunderstood your question or request.
Although this bot is already one of the best in terms of natural language processing, it still has a lot of flaws. It has no ability to understand human emotions, so it can sometimes give answers that offend some people.
Can we use ChatGPT as a search engine?
Although ChatGPT can answer most of your questions and fulfill many of your language-related requests, it is far from replacing a Search Engine. First of all, there is a fundamental difference between this artificial intelligence and a search engine.
It mainly focuses on generating new content, answering specific questions, and fulfilling requests. A search engine indexes existing websites, organize them into different categories, and provides them to users according to their search requests.
Both are two different things and although their domain overlaps a little bit, that doesn’t matters. Chat GPT is currently too weak of an AI to compete with a search engine, but it might have a chance in the future.
What are the shortcoming and limitations of ChatGPT?
As we mentioned earlier, GPT has a few important shortcomings, and they are as follows:
- The information it provides can be false, misleading, or outdated because its training data limit it.
- Currently, its training data is only up to 2021, and it doesn’t go much further than that. So, if you ask about something relatively new or has changed in recent years, you will likely get a wrong or outdated answer.
- ChatGPT’s main strength is that it can converse with humans in a human-like manner, answering your questions and fulfilling your requests. It remembers your previous conversations and answers your next questions according to the context of the conversation. It is its strength, but it can also be its weakness; the AI is constantly learning from you and optimizing itself to better answer you. If you feed it wrong information, it will learn that wrong information and feed it back to you when you ask something similar or related later. For example
- You ask it the question, “What is 30 + 4” Its normal answer would be “34,” which is the correct answer. But if you disagree with that and say, “No, 30 + 4 = 35”, then it will apologize and admit that 30 + 4 = 35. Now, in the next question, whenever you say, “What is 30 + 4” it will say 35. Now, if you do this as a joke or experiment, then it doesn’t matter, but if you do this unknowingly, then you might get the wrong information in the subsequent conversation.
- It might give a wrong answer if your question is not specific enough; when it can’t fully understand a question, it uses its advanced algorithms to guess what you actually want. Although this approach works most of the time and provides great convenience to the users, sometimes it can make the wrong guess and give an unexpected answer.
Why do people feel worried about ChatGPT?
Many people feel deeply worried about artificial intelligence because of the impact it might have on our lives. ChatGPT is one of the most human-like AI we currently have; this worries people. It is too human-like, which, in most people’s opinion, is not good.
The current capabilities of GPT software make many people realize that we are not far from creating a real General Artificial Intelligence. A machine that is likely to surpass us in intelligence, the very ability we are proud of.
We are at the top of the food chain because we have superior intelligence than any being on the earth. Once we create something smarter than us, we might not be able to control it, which will mean we will no longer have our current transcendental status.
We human beings will be the same to it as animals are to us right now. And it will likely treat us the same way we currently treat animals. If we need something from an animal species, we hunt them or keep them as livestock. If we find some animals cute, we keep them as pets; if we find some species annoying, we exterminate them on a large scale.
To prevent these possible doomsday scenarios, many scientists, entrepreneurs, and great thinkers have warned governments and the public to stop the development of AI. Or at least develop and implement some strict rules on AI development to prevent it from being out of control or used by careerists or malicious individuals.
What Exams did ChatGPT pass?
ChatGPT is a very powerful AI; it can answer most questions accurately when it has related data. Many scientists and university professors have experimented with it by letting it try to solve different exams, and it has passed many of them. Some of them are as follows:
Wharton MBA Exam
Wharton professor named Christian Terwiesch conducted a study on this bot in which he tried to let it answer questions from the final MBA exam. It did surprisingly well in answering all these questions, it was excellent in basic operation questions and a little lacking when it came to complicated questions with multiple inputs and outputs. After analyzing all its answers to exam questions, the professor concluded that its performance deserves a B- or B grade.
US Medical Licensing Exam
A group of researchers conducted a study in which they put ChatGPT through a standard three-part medical exam that aspiring doctors usually take. According to their results, the bot passed the exam with minimum passing marks without any special training.
During the exam, it showed in-depth insight into the subject matter while answering questions. After considering the results, they concluded that the bot could potentially become a virtual medical assistant in the future.
Alex Berezow, a Science Journalist, put ChatGPT through a 10-question quiz that he thinks is appropriate for a college final exam. The bot answered all of those questions correctly without exception.
Law exam Questions
A group of professors conducted a study at the University of Minnesota, putting the bot through 92 multiple-choice questions and 12 essay questions of a standard law exam. Then the professors blindly graded these answers, and the bot got a C+ on the exam.
This shows that right now, although GPT is not an exceptional student, this level of performance is enough to earn a law degree. After that, they showed concern regarding the fact that during distance learning exams, students can easily pass the exams by using ChatGPT.
What is the relationship of ChatGPT with Microsoft?
Microsoft had a cooperative relationship with OpenAI on various projects during the past couple of years. Microsoft used OpenAI’s various AIs in its different platforms and products, while OpenAI used Azure cloud computing servers to host its AI.
Microsoft also invested quite a lot of money in OpenAI over the years; according to some estimates, it is almost 10$ billion; it now holds 49% of the company’s shares.
Frequently Asked Questions
No matter how good an AI ChatGPT is, all of its performance comes at a cost, and that is finite computation resources. Although OpenAI has bought and rented a lot of servers to provide its AI with sufficient power, there is still a limit. In rush hours, sometimes too many users use GPT, and it fails to keep up with them. So, it serves the maximum number of people it can at one time and leaves the rest to wait; those waiting will get “at capacity” notice. If a similar situation happens to you, don’t worry; nothing is wrong with the bot. It’s just too busy right now; you can try again after a few minutes or half an hour.
At the start, ChatGPT was completely free, but now it has a premium version in addition to a few version. Although the original intent was to remain free, the cost of keeping the whole thing functional was too much; just the cost of computing was an astronomical sum.